Re: HURDNG : Which type of OS design could we have to thinknowadays ?

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: HURDNG : Which type of OS design could we have to thinknowadays ?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 19:46:48 -0400

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 10:43 -0600, Nigel Williams wrote:

> With hurdNg and coyotos I would gladly see legacy support de-valued (even
> jettisoned).

> A goal to support ... PHP.

You do realize that these two statements are contradictory?

PHP, Perl, Python, and friends require a depressingly large degree of
legacy support. They all want something POSIX-like. Actually, it's not
so much POSIX per se as certain *ideas* that are common to existing
systems.

For example: try to imagine implementing any of these languages in a
system that does not have a conventional file system...