Re: Potential use case for opaque space bank: domain factored network st

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Potential use case for opaque space bank: domain factored network stack
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 02:42:25 +0100

Scribit Marcus Brinkmann dies 06/01/2007 hora 02:07:
> The core point here is that process A does not give any authority to
> process B that it didn't already have or could have (in principle).

Only if you assume that the TCP stack is in the same domain that the NIC
driver. This is already not the case anymore in the mentioned paper,
IIUC.

In the domain factored implementation, the only process that has
potentially access to DMA is the "enet" process, which comprise the NIC
driver and packet multiplexer. All layers above Ethernet are thus
managed by totally unpriviledged processes WRT memory access.

I'm pretty sure that if we follow a similar methodology to achieve
isolation of critical components, we will indeed find some other
scenarios. I'll try to do so, now that I see more clearly what it
involves and what are the advantages.

At least any part of the system where there will be access to hardware
and some sort of packet multiplexing, the exact same layout can be used.
This will be at least the case for IDE, SCSI, Firewire and USB devices.
You could write a very minimalist bus driver with just a packet filter
on top of it, both in the TCB (as one or two processes). Then you could
add a SCSI or USB stack on top of it, as unpriviledged processes.

Maybe some of these buses need a packet filtering a bit more complex
than Ethernet, as I don't know how they work much, but I don't see why
it couldn't be done.

It would give us a very secure and yet incredibly flexible device
framework...

To rephrase, we want a client process C to be able to send, and possibly
receive, data through an unpriviledged (apart from having a capability
to T) server process S, without S to be vulnerable to DoS attacks, that
has to do some mandatory checks or transformations to the data before
passing it to a typically highly priviledged server T, like a server in
the TCB accessing hardware.

A solution is then for C to provide a space bank to S that it cannot
write to anymore while S has the privilege to use it, but that it could
reclaim at any time.

Curiously,
Pierre
--