Re: Potential use case for opaque space bank: domain factored network st

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Potential use case for opaque space bank: domain factored network stack
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 18:59:38 +0100

Scribit Marcus Brinkmann dies 06/01/2007 hora 09:26:
> If the power relationship between the two actors is rightfully total
> dominance, I have no principled objection. If the power relationship
> between the two actors is rightfully a sibling relationship, I do.

I quite don't see the principle that should lead to that distinction. I
don't see why processes could not do what we can do on an everyday
basis, that is give the /usus/ of an object to another process, while
keeping the /abusus/.

Occasionnally, my mother permits me to use her car, and while doing so,
she has fully the right to reclaim it at any moment, and I have the duty
to have the car remain in the state I was given it.

This kind of interaction is just made infinitely more secure between
processes as a process cannot alter the usability of a memory page or of
some CPU time.

> If you think that this means I could accept the EROS space bank design
> if it is only used in relationships where one actor totally dominates
> another, then you are approximately correct, however, I would also
> inspect other mechanisms as well that may achieve the same or
> something similar.

But then you would place a totally useless and arbitrary limit: a
feature would be present in the code of the Hurd and you would deny
anything but the TCB to use it, without any technical reason.

While it may be totally right to do so, and I completely understand that
you want to stick to some principles with the design of the Hurd, that
seems very strange to me.

The question also is: if using this feature system-wide without
restriction enables users to have a more secure system, what would stop
them to use a modified Hurd to do so?

You may also be right that people thinking that the scheme I describe is
highly desirable could probably contribute to the Coyotos OS instead of
Hurd.

If Hurd becomes a very usable OS, it would a shame if the limitation you
plan to include in your design leads to a fork.

Quickly,
Pierre
--
address@hidden