Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Tent Licensing

From: Ramana Kumar
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Tent Licensing
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 09:02:01 +0100

Thank you very much TH for responding to my request to comment on the issue :)

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak <rysiek@fwioo.pl> wrote:
Okay, could anybody please explain to me why do we need Yet Another
Social Network Protocol?

I don't know. Is there a list of all of them, maintained in some canonical place?
Maybe it would be good to put up a site that lists social networking protocols and compares them, so we can quickly figure out which one to choose to focus efforts on.
I thought tent looked good, but I haven't done any rational analysis.

Instead of focusing on a bikeshedding issue[1] (as I believe the
licensing for a new and still unused potentially libre social network
is one indeed), I really do think we should rather focus on the big
picture. And that is:

There is not libre, decentralized, federated social network that is
actually a threat to walled gardens.

OK. Good point.

And here's why:
1. network effect
2. fragmentation on the libre side of things

ad.1.) that's something we can fight (as suggested in the other
thread), once we tackle 2.

OK.

ad.2.) the first thing we can do to tackle this is agreeing on a
single protocol.

OK, which one? How should we decide? Who are 'we'?
Does it matter if we make a bad choice? I.e. is it more important to agree on something than to agree on the right thing? (Since maybe we can make it more right later.)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikeshedding
--
Pozdrawiam
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Fundacja Wolnego i Otwartego Oprogramowania