Re: [libreplanet-discuss] interview with Noam Chomsky

From: Mats Sjöberg
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] interview with Noam Chomsky
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 23:06:39 +0200

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 10:29:35PM -0500, Quiliro Ordóñez wrote:
> I have the oportunity to make an interview to Noam Chomsky. What
> questions would you ask him? (I will name you if you want.)

I remember hearing Richard Stallman telling that he had asked Noam
Chomsky about free software, and he didn't seem interested or
understand the issue.  I'm not sure where i heard this, it might have
been the recent interview on HPR[1] (I'm too lazy to relisten to it
now and locate the point :).  Unless things have changed since then,
Chomsky may not understand and see the relevance of free software, so
I'm not sure how approach him with a question about that.

Perhaps a starting point would be presenting the idea of user control
of digital communications and computing becoming crucial in today's
world, especially for political activists.  Today's digital networks
and personal computing can have both an empowering tendency, and one
of increased top-down control and surveillance.  Free software is one
important strategy to help achieve the first one.  A question could be
crafted around that...  not exactly sure how to phrase it, though :)

1: http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=1116