Re: [libreplanet-discuss] interview with Noam Chomsky

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] interview with Noam Chomsky
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 00:01:25 +0100

Il giorno mercoledì 09/01/2013 19:08:09 CET
"hellekin (GNU Consensus)" <hellekin@gnu.org> ha scritto:

> On 01/09/2013 07:01 PM, al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:
> >
> > Another interesting question could be if he thinks people should or not pay
> > for software in general, and free software in particular.
> >
> *** I don't see how that is interesting.

Software is immaterial, each "copy" is an original infinitely reproducible
at zero cost.

People who develop the source code should be socially remunerated
for their work, and all the people should use all the software without pay.

Nowadays software has a main role in our lives and in our freedom: if people
have to pay for the software, then who has no money has less freedom of others;
in addition, who oversees copyright and patents (onerous licenses and royalties
= money again to be payed by people) acquires a huge oligarchic non democratic
power.

Even if you don't see how, these arguments seems to me to be very interesting to
analyze (and are probably interesting to mr. Chomsky also).

> It seems to me that it would
> only bring more confusion about the meaning of "free" in free software.

The term "free software" already includes inherently the confusion you refer
to (*)... I don't think this topic may greatly increase it.

(*) Incidentally, the confusion is not just regarding the cost/price: it is
more a "philosophic" confusion as the 4 freedoms are not actually freedoms but
rights (freedom is much more than 4 legal rules...)

> Cost does not depend on whether the software is free or not.

But, as stated before, freedom depends also on whether people have to pay for
software... so maybe that free (in sense of freedom) software should not have a
cost for people.

Again, also this argument seems to me to be very interesting to analyze.

Regards
--
al3xu5 / dotcommon
Support free software! Join FSF: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=7535