Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC: GNU Developer Network on libreplanet.org

From: Brandon Invergo
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC: GNU Developer Network on libreplanet.org
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 08:38:36 +0200

Hi Kẏra,

Kẏra <kxra@fsf.org> writes:

> I think this is a fantastic idea. The best way to do this might be to
> contribute all GNU-specific materials to the GNU project group (and
> subpages) http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:GNU
>
> Then general information about free software can be put in the main
> namespace. Example: http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Free_software

Well, I think it might be best to keep the bulk of the developer info
separate from the user info, *but* since one of the most powerful parts
of using the GNU system is realizing you can also develop for it, some
amount of connection between the two areas should exist.  Finding a
smart way to make that connection will be a fun challenge.

We want to encourage new users to learn about developing free software
in general and about developing for GNU (that is to say, in accordance
with GNU standards, using GNU libraries/tools, etc.), as well as attract
seasoned devs who want to stop by and learn something new or share their
knowledge.

> I'd be interesting in helping with this effort! Can you give me more
> details on what is involved?

Well, we've spent most of our time thinking about underlying
infrastructure, which would influence the overall design.  So, now I
think it's time to start thinking about the latter!

I think the best way to start would be to create a GNU Dev Network (GDN)
page on LP, which will serve as a hub that links to other pages.  So, as
a use-case example, let's say I want to create a tutorial about how to
integrate Guile into your software.  I go to the GDN page and I create a
new link under the "Tutorials" section, click that link and write my
text.

I think a good first step would be outlining the sections that we would
want on the GDN hub.  Say, "Tutorials", "Documentation", "Tips and
Tricks" (short, one-line tips for a given topic)...

> Our Code of Conduct does say that participants should advocate freedom
> over openness. We have not had any situations where admins have had to
> step in.

OK that's good to know.  I'll pass that info on to rms.

--
Brandon Invergo
http://brandon.invergo.net