Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC: GNU Developer Network on libreplanet.org

From: Brandon Invergo
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC: GNU Developer Network on libreplanet.org
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 08:55:39 +0200

Hi Christian,

tomsitprocb@gmail.com writes:

> I love the Savane codebase and Savannah as a project infrastructure. If it
> were
> at all possible to accomplish this GDN under Savannah, that would not only be
> natural match but perhaps encourage GNU coders to move from places like GitHub
> and house their GNU projects under Savannah instead.

Well, yes and no.  Some aspects of it would be nice, such as the News
feature acting as a blog.  However, I think its general orientation
towards software development impedes its use as a developer network.
For example, one cannot simply join whatever groups one wants; one must
be added by a group admin.  There is also no wiki-like, user-editable
documentation feature, which I think is essential.

Nevertheless, Savannah should get top billing in the GDN.

Actually, that right there is a great article to put on the GDN: "Where
should I host my free software project?"

Cheers,
Brandon

--
Brandon Invergo