Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The FSF Allows No Derivatives,

From: rysiek
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The FSF Allows No Derivatives,
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 12:28:18 +0200

Dnia piątek, 24 kwietnia 2015 22:32:11 Mike Gerwitz pisze:
> I posted my opinions on and evaluation of this topic back when I decided
> to release all of my works---including works of opinion, such as blog
> posts---under CC BY-SA:
>
> http://mikegerwitz.com/2013/06/All-Thoughts-and-Site-Text-Now-Licensed-Unde
> r-CC-BY-SA
>
> It touches on many of the same points.

Thanks for that link.

> Different people will reach different conclusions for their works.  For
> example, consider RMS:
>
>   "The second class of work is works whose purpose is to say what
>   certain people think. Talking about those people is their
>   purpose. This includes, say, memoirs, essays of opinion, scientific
>   papers, offers to buy and sell, catalogues of goods for sale. The
>   whole point of those works is that they tell you what somebody thinks
>   or what somebody saw or what somebody believes. To modify them is to
>   misrepresent the authors; so modifying these works is not a socially
>   useful activity. And so verbatim copying is the only thing that people
>   really need to be allowed to do."[0]
>
> While I disagree with that (rationale in above link), RMS is in a much
> more sensitive position: he dedicates his life to speaking and conveying
> his opinions, and assigns very precise semantics to his words.  He is an
> important public figure that is often discussed and often refuted and
> misrepresented.  Out of all those people---and all those heated
> philosophical spats between free software advocates and everyone
> else---will allowing derivative works offer too much of a distraction
> From his and the FSF's content?

The problem is that -ND and similar licenses do not at all solve this issue,
while at the same time create several other:
http://rys.io/en/101

"TL;DR
  - "No derivatives" licensing does not protect against things we want it to
    protect against (either because these are explicitly allowed for by the
    copyright law, or because the copyright law already disallows them);
  - and at the same time stops people from doing things we might consider
    interesting or beneficial;
  - while making it harder to promote libre licensing and libre-licensed
    works."

Full artionale in the linked bragpost.

--
Pozdrawiam,