Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Freedom respecting SBC?

From: Steven Hamilton
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Freedom respecting SBC?
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 16:37:01 +1000

On 06/12/15 13:03, Julien Kyou wrote:
> > > On December 5, 2015 9:45:38 PM EST, "Thompson, David"
<dthompson2@worcester.edu> wrote: > > On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 9:20 PM,
Julien Kyou <julien@thisyear.me> wrote: > >> > >> I am in a position to
make a 'Truly Freedom Respecting' > > Single-Board-Computer. > >> It
would probably cost around 50 to 100$ (I'm want it at least twice > > as
powerful as a pi), and GPIO pins making it a good Pi alternative. > >> I
Have no specs (or other details) for it yet, I am just wondering > > how
much interest there is (beyond myself of course). > > > I'm very
interested in such a computer that is similar in size to the > >
Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone Black.  I'd like an ARMv7 or later > >
processor with a freedom-compatible GPU, HDMI output, gigabit > >
ethernet, 2 USB 3.0 ports.  That's all I can think of for now. ;) > > >
- Dave > > That is what I'm aiming for also. > > If anyone has insight
as to freedom-compatible components, just to save me some time, I'd be
really grateful for the information.

Ah, when I first read your email I thought you already had a plan. I'm
afraid you're in for an awakening. Depending on what functionality you
want will constrain your board. Basically, anything with wifi and/or a
GUI beyond basic console (headless) will not be free as you'll need
non-free firmware to get wifi and GPU working. I have a Hummingboard
from Solid-run. It's imx.6 based and runs headless with no firmware
blobs. Even the bootloader is free although not mainlined into U-Boot.

TL:DR - You're board will be headless only in order to be Free.