Re: [libreplanet-discuss] applying the GPL to some clojure code

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] applying the GPL to some clojure code
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 09:55:00 -0500

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 4:39 AM, Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> wrote:

> For caution I wrote to them too, on Dec 27th, no reply yet.
>
> Is this normal ? Or i can assume that they missed my email or decided not to
> handle it for some reason ?

It can be slow to get a response back.  The licensing team receives a
lot of mail.

> The fsf docs say to include the license text in every file it applies to,
> but the github default is to add a single file to the root of the project.
> This has me wondering.
>
> Why the indication is different ? Isn' t this a legal standard ?

GitHub doesn't exactly encourage good development habits.

The better way is to place the full license text in a file called
"LICENSE" in the root of the source tree, and place an appropriate
copyright header and license snippet in each source code file, to
indicate the license of that particular file and who claims copyright
in it.

> Also the project includes some csv files that I extracted from some xls
> files published by a governmental agency. If I put a single license file at
> the top of the project, will it apply to the resources files too ?

There's nothing magic about placing a license file in your source
tree.  Many pieces of software contain code and data under a variety
of licenses.  It's important that you, as the developer, put
copyright/license notices in the appropriate places to make it clear
what the terms are for any given file.

Hope this helps a bit,

- Dave