Re: [libreplanet-discuss] applying the GPL to some clojure code

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] applying the GPL to some clojure code
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 21:18:25 -0500

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 10:39:39 +0100, Catonano wrote:
> For caution I wrote to them too, on Dec 27th, no reply yet.
>
> Is this normal ? Or i can assume that they missed my email or decided not
> to handle it for some reason ?

They may be backed up due to the holidays.

> The fsf docs say to include the license text in every file it applies to,
> but the github default is to add a single file to the root of the project.
> This has me wondering.
>
> Why the indication is different ? Isn' t this a legal standard ?

You are encouraged to include a copyright header and license notice in
each source file because it ensures that the proper copyright
information is conveyed even if the file becomes separated from the rest
of the source tree (e.g. used in another project).

There is no legal requirement.

> Also the project includes some csv files that I extracted from some xls
> files published by a governmental agency. If I put a single license file at
> the top of the project, will it apply to the resources files too ?

This is another benefit of applying license information in headers; it's
not always clear what LICENSE applies to.

If placing license notices in headers is not possible or practical, you
can put another file in the directory hosting the file (or the root
directory) listing the files to which the license applies.  You should
be sure to include the full license text somewhere.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker | GNU Maintainer