Re: [libreplanet-discuss] suggestion/help. GPL enforcement.

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] suggestion/help. GPL enforcement.
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 20:32:54 +0200

On 05/06/16 20:27, Pen-Yuan Hsing wrote:
> On 05/06/16 19:23, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> On 05/06/16 19:46, al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:

>>> Agree.
>>> And raising: we need to think about how to completely eradicate
>>> any copyright and (so called) "intellectual property" institutions at
>>> a global
>>> scale!!!
>>
>> If copyright law didn't exist, then developers would not be able to use
>> the GPL to place copyleft conditions on derivative works
>
> That is true, but if copyright law doesn't exist, then wouldn't
> proprietary software also not be possible? If so, then copyleft wouldn't
> be needed anyway. But please let me know if I'm wrong.

Without copyright, you could copy closed-source binary code but you
would have to do extra work to reverse engineer it

Having copyright law + GPL ensures that you are entitled to original
source code.

Copyright also lets you put other conditions on your code, for example,
the condition that derivative works can only be used for good and not evil.