Re: [libreplanet-discuss] suggestion/help. GPL enforcement.

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] suggestion/help. GPL enforcement.
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 11:46:40 -0700

On 06/05/2016 11:23 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> If copyright law didn't exist, then developers would not be able to use
> the GPL to place copyleft conditions on derivative works

(preface: I acknowledge this wording as slightly snarky)

Repeat after me: "We can abolish copyright law if we just also mandate
source release for published works and prohibit DRM"

As soon as we go into hypothetical copyright abolition, it's perfectly
reasonable to describe simply the other legal changes needed to protect
software freedom (and other freedoms!). Please don't stop the thought
process where you come out in defense of copyright law just to protect
copyleft.