Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Article on GRSecurity, RMS, etc.

From: Adam Van Ymeren
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Article on GRSecurity, RMS, etc.
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 12:51:59 -0400

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 4:41 AM, Shawn <citypw@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not an expert of GPL compliance. I personally don't see any GPL
> violation in PaX/Grsecurity. Because of some embedded vendors pissed
> off PaX/Grsecurity's authors last year and then they decided stable
> patch was going to customer-only, which means you could get the source
> code once you paid. It's very fair to myself. Because they need to
> spend time and hire people to do the regression testing to make their
> customer's production system as stable as possible. Fortunately, they
> are still release test patch for public. As a user and a security
> consultant, test patch is good enough to deal with the most situation
> I've met.

>From what I've read.  It sounds like they are making customers sign
NDAs, and/or threatening to cut them off if the customers share the
source code for those patches to anyone.  This is clearly a violation
of freedom 2

"The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2)."

I'm not a lawyer or expert on the GPL.  The GPL may not protect
against situations like this, but it clearly goes against the spirit
of Free Software.