Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Article on GRSecurity, RMS, etc.

From: concernedfossdev
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Article on GRSecurity, RMS, etc.
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 19:57:19 +0000

What is occurring is that the agreement allows GRSecurity to create derivative
works from the Linux Kernel source code.
However that same agreement requires that GRSecurity allow sublicensees(for
lack of a better word) to redistribute those derivative works.

Without the permission from the grant, GRSecurity has no right to modify the
source code, even for personal use, under
US copyright law.

Courts do not allow one to on one had cover under an agreement, while on the
other hand subverting another clause in the same agreement. This is called
acting in bad-faith towards the agreement.

Another note (if GRSecurity were to claim that there is not agreement, just a
bare license, even though they've been in
communication with the kernel team for decades now):
Bare licenses are revokable at will by the grantor and the GPLv2 lacks a
non-revocation clause (thus arguing estoppel isn't so easy). Even then court
will often apply contract law principals even to a bare license.

Another note:
Linux is not a work of joint-copyright (for those looking over the 1976
statute).
(Under joint copyright the copyright is owned 100pct by each contributor).
Instead it appears to be a very very very very very long string of derivative
works.

Derivative works, when created with the permission of the copyright holder,
also create
a seperate claim of copyright in their creation.

Thus the claims start to stack:
Linux-A-B-C-D-E-F-G-etc

So if G is violating the agreement, it could be argued that all copyright
holders of a preceeding interest each have a cause of action against G. This is
different from joint copyright where more than 1/2 of the rightsholders have to
agree to bring an action.

However someone knowlegeble in procedure would have to chime in here,
specifically in relation to US copyright claims.
Often there are court rules to limit who can sue further than normal
generically for any old suit.