Re: [libreplanet-discuss] LibrePlanet 2017 and the Trump Police State

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] LibrePlanet 2017 and the Trump Police State
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 10:02:09 +0100

Andri Effendi <fusionman133@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi Libreplanet,
>
> This is a really sad time in America.
>
> People should be able to attend these events regardless of their
> cultural background.
>
> The only reason I can't attend, is because of travel and costs.

We do offer a travel scholarship fund, which we are working on
expanding. We have limited resources, but please do apply for next year.
If anyone knows companies or organizations who'd like to sponsor the
conference, which helps us build the travel fund, please put them in
touch with us at campaigns@fsf.org.

It's not possible to change the location of LP 2017 at this late date.
We have had conversations about moving the conference around in the
future, or holding affiliated events in different places. Canada is high
on the list of possibilities. These conversations have been going on for
a while, because even before the recent changes, many free software
developers did not feel safe traveling to the US due to how their past
work might be viewed under the DMCA and US laws against reverse
engineering. It's a big logistical challenge for us to have it in other
places, but if we can attract sufficient financial support, I could
definitely see us doing it in the future.

We're very frustrated with the recent changes to immigration policy, and
have been discussing how they relate to the FSF's mission. One thing is
for sure; we're very troubled by how the changes are interfering with
our ability to bring free software movement members together. We again
have a high priority on recording and streaming talks, so I hope that
those who can't join us in person will still be able to participate to
some extent.

-john

GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7 5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://my.fsf.org/join>.