Re: libreplanet-discuss Digest, Vol 114, Issue 9

From: David
Subject: Re: libreplanet-discuss Digest, Vol 114, Issue 9
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 12:56:04 +0100

Clearly the site owner(s) bestow moderator power how they choose. The
vast majority that I've seen select moderators and administrators but
one noteworthy exception might be Slashdot and it's community spun
off sites where the moderation rights are semi awarded as a reward
for meretricious past actions on site but there too this is backed up
with staff moderation of content being posted.

 Being "correct" is a subjective distinction and in this case it would
 be being correct in terms of the site guidelines/rules of posting.

Your understanding of "Internet Trolls" is at variance with my own so I
looked up Wikipedia on the subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

From that definition I have no issue at all with moderation of Internet
Trolls and see it as something of a requirement in any properly run
site.

Your point re: leaving the list also doesn't fit my experience of good
moderation in that it would be most unusual for site management to wish
to reduce site use and so it would be a very rare moderator who pushed
a member of worth (not an Internet Troll and the like) to leave, rather
moderators want people to stay but to stay while observing the site
rules in future postings. here I don't see a wish to limit conversation
but only a wish to have that conversation be carried out in a "better"
manner as seen by the moderator and in light of the site guidelines.

 I believe that a kind and safe environment is made so in part through
 good moderation of the site. Without that you will have an unsafe site.

 David Nash