Re: Very Simple question

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Very Simple question
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 10:38:46 +1100

Hello Leonid,

Re contemporary notation, others have answered, but I would like to chime in.

First let me say that Lilypond is extensible, via Scheme code and
functions. So there is very little that you cannot achieve, with work.
This requires an investment of time and learning Scheme, but you will
be well rewarded.

I set a lot of New Complexity School scores by a colleague of mine.
The music can be very dense, and often departs from the Common Era
period notation - which Lilypond is principally designed for.
Consequently, over the years I have built an extensive library of
Scheme functions to handle my needs. This is a big advantage of
Lilypond over Those Other Programs.

Adding to previous comments, music notation is not standardised once
outside Common Era (and even then...). Each of the composers you
mentioned has an idiosyncratic style. Each contemporary composer has
their own take on notation. Some people use graphical notation, far
from normal notes. It's unfortunate that there is even a section in
the manual about contemporary notation. I suggest it would be better
removed. Even if we had the large numbers of volunteers required, it
is absurd to think somebody is going to devote hundreds of hours to
modules just for say, Penderecki, when the demand for such is likely
to be close to zero. This is saved by the fact that you can code what
you need yourself, or ask help from the list with parts that you find
tricky of difficult.

Technical questions also do better with an example. Your requirements
are non-specific. Can you post an image of a page of your typical
score style you are considering, and I can give you advice on what to
do. I can say at the start that if you are a composer that uses
graphics and pictures and watercolour washes and so on, Lilypond is
not the way to go. You'd burn out quickly trying to set that sort of
music in Lilypond. A job for Inkscape or similar, as others have also
mentioned. But do show us want you want to achieve.

Andrew