Re: Error with make doc

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Error with make doc
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 11:33:59 +0000 (UTC)

>> Please read this and check whether you are affected by this
>> problem.  In case you can confirm the issue please try whether it
>> works if you omit the `-l` option in all `cp` calls in my patch.
>
> I checked -- the results of the problem were different for me than
> for the bug report.  I got the error message, but the hard link was
> never copied (there were not two files with the same inode -- only
> the original file.

OK, so there is indeed a problem with `cp -l` on your macOS.  It's
still hard to believe.

BTW, which macOS version are you using?

> I omitted the '-l' option in the cp calls in the patch.
>
> 'make doc' succeeded without any errors, so I thought I had success.  But
> it turns out that
>
> a) I appear not to have the .css files copied (at least the output
>    showed no css -- just basic white screen), and
> b) I appear not to have the image files copied (there are no images
>    that show up in any of the pages accessible from
>    www-out/offline-root).

It seems that my patch doesn't work as expected, or that I have missed
something.  As usual, please start from scratch and run the standard
incantation (or your adapted variation of it)

```
./configure
make bytecode -j12
make doc -j12 CPU_COUNT=12 LANGS="en"
```

(please tell me what git commit you are using so that I can try
exactly the same setup).  After finishing, please call

```
find . | gzip > find.log.gz
```

in your build directory and send me the file *privately* for further
inspection (it's about 750kByte compressed – listing approx. 160000
files) and of no real interest to other readers of this list).

> Does it make sense to try again with the xargs part of the patch,
> but using the GNU cp and find?

For you personally, it certainly makes sense so that you get a
successful build.  For the LilyPond project, however, I think it's
best to use native OS tools so that the number of additional
requisites stays as small as possible.

    Werner