Re: fundamental problem with `\autoBeamOff`

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: fundamental problem with `\autoBeamOff`
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 10:13:57 -0700

On 2024-03-25 9:34 am, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Consider this small example.

```tex
{
  f'8 f' \autoBeamOff f' f'
  f' f' f' f'
}
```

For me it was surprising to see that `\autoBeamOff` doesn't act
immediately but rather two eighths later.  The documentation doesn't
mention this, AFAICS, and I consider this behaviour rather
counter-intuitive.

Could this be fixed?

It appears that intentionally the `autoBeaming` property is not consulted when considering whether to end a auto-beam in progress. (There's a comment in the code for the engraver regarding this. I have not dug through the code or mailing list archives to determine why `consider_end` does not consult `autoBeaming`.)

Using \noBeam should let you terminate the beam early:

%%%%
\version "2.25.13"

autoBeamOff = { <>\noBeam \autoBeamOff }

{
  f'8 f' \autoBeamOff f' f'
  f' f' \autoBeamOn f' f'
}