Re: fundamental problem with `\autoBeamOff`

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: fundamental problem with `\autoBeamOff`
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:24:59 +0000 (UTC)

>> > Using \noBeam should let you terminate the beam early: [...]
>>
>> Very nice!  Maybe we should add your fix to the git repository?
>>
> Seems to me like we need a documentation fix.  Something like:
>
>   A beam that is started by the autobeamer will end according to the
>   autobeaming rules in effect at the start of the beam.  If you wish
>   to terminate an autobeam early, use \noBeam after the last note
>   you want beamed.
>
> It may be possible to change the autobeam behavior, but it would
> likely increase the computation time for autobeaming, because you
> would have to continually look at both the start and the end of the
> beam.  So I'd propose that making a function change could be a
> feature request, but the lack of documentation is a bug.

Perhaps we are miscommunicating: I'm not talking about changing the
behaviour of the `autoBeaming` property – doing so would probably
cause what you describe.  I'm talking about modifying the
`\autoBeamOff` command by inserting `<>\noBeam` (as suggested by
Aaron), which is something users have already to do if they want to
prevent auto-beaming at a particular place.  I don't see any increased
computation time for this.

Do you see *any* advantage of having `\autoBeamOff` being delayed?

    Werner