Re: fundamental problem with `\autoBeamOff`

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: fundamental problem with `\autoBeamOff`
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 17:46:51 +0000 (UTC)

>> Consider this small example.
>> ```tex
>> {
>>   f'8 f' \autoBeamOff f' f'
>>   f' f' f' f'
>> }
>> ```
>>
>> For me it was surprising to see that `\autoBeamOff` doesn't act
>> immediately but rather two eighths later.  The documentation
>> doesn't mention this, AFAICS, and I consider this behaviour rather
>> counter-intuitive.  Could this be fixed?
>
> It appears that intentionally the `autoBeaming` property is not
> consulted when considering whether to end a auto-beam in progress.

Thanks for digging!  I've now done some `git blame` calls and found
out that this behaviour was there from the very beginning of the
auto-beamer's existence (in 1999).  Honestly, I don't see any reason
for it – who likes delayed actions like this?

> Using \noBeam should let you terminate the beam early: [...]

Very nice!  Maybe we should add your fix to the git repository?

    Werner