Re: Export/sync nmh folders to IMAP server

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: Export/sync nmh folders to IMAP server
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 14:45:43 -0400

>I guess I will try the Maildir hard links script with
>cyrus-imapd for providing access to the 6G of mail on my desktop.
>I'm okay that it would be read-only... it's probably a feature.

I am continually confused why anyone thinks Maildir is a good idea for
mailbox storage; I think it is fine for a _maildrop_ (since that was
it's intended purpose), but every time I've seen it used as a backend
for mailbox storage, you end up cramming a lot of metadata into the
individual filenames and nobody seems to quite agree on those metadata
semantics.

Also, I thought cyrus-imapd uses it's own internal backend for
mail storage and Maildir isn't one of them.  Looks like the list of
storage types is here:

https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/concepts/deployment/databases.html#storage-types

You might be thinking of Dovecot which _does_ use Maildir as a backend
storage, but my understanding is that Dovecot has the filename metadata
problem mentioned above.