Re: Export/sync nmh folders to IMAP server

From: Philipp Takacs
Subject: Re: Export/sync nmh folders to IMAP server
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 21:02:21 +0200

[2022-06-29 21:07] Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu>
> (I personally like a nice and so on, append-only MIME MBOX the
> most, and do not understand why people do not like it.

Because mbox is a horrible file format. First of all it's only one file
so you have to build a folder stucture around it. Next it's hard to
delete (or move) mails if they not at the end of the file. These
problems are not that bad depending on for what you want to use the mbox
and can solved by writing more and complex code.

The main problem is that there is not the mbox format, there are several
variants. Some variants don't allow arbatrary mails as content and most
(probably all) of them aren't realy specified. It's nearly impossible to
determ which variant you have. Therfor most software just implement one
variant and handle other variants incorrect. Jamie Zawinski explains the
details of the problems quite good[0].

So please stop using mbox.

Philipp

Ps: what bugs me the most is when mbox is used to store exactly one mail

Pps: Sorry for the OT rant, but this bugs me every time I get a mbox

[0] https://www.jwz.org/doc/content-length.html