Re: Question as I haven't been paying attention

From: Bakul Shah
Subject: Re: Question as I haven't been paying attention
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 16:31:34 -0800

On Dec 7, 2022, at 3:50 PM, Jon Steinhart <jon@fourwinds.com> wrote:

> Bakul Shah writes:
>> On Dec 7, 2022, at 2:32 PM, Jon Steinhart <jon@fourwinds.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just upgraded my system to FC37 which incldes nmh 1.7.1.
>>> show now runs everything through more which I hate.
>>> Can't seem to disable it, even with --showproc cat.
>>> Can someone save the trouble of having to figure this
>>> out from the source code?
>>
>> I have
>>
>> showproc:/usr/bin/less
>>
>> in my ~/.mh_profile. Shouldn't matter but this is on FreeBSD.
>
> Huh.  OK, adding showproc: /bin/cat seemed to do it.  Thanks.
>
> Oops, no it didn't.  It works for your messages but that's
> because it's text/plain, doesn't work on anything else such
> as an html doc that I run through w3m to show as ascii.
>
> Can whoever made this change explain how to turn it off?

I built a fresh version (commithash 0e68a78e44d03c) and ran it
through ktrace to see what gets called. I have

mhshow-show-text/html: charset=%{charset};
  w3m ${charset:+-I $charset} -T text/html %F

in ~/.mh_profile. mhshow calls w3m to format the text
and then calls less to display the formatted text. It
also calls mhl. Setting -showproc has no impact, it still
goes through less.

You can try setting -showmimeproc to /bin/cat but that
is probably not what you want for html!

Looking through git log, the following may have be interest:

commit 54c9b8ee126b284c25b8ae3c7e600638fda2cb06
Author: David Levine <levinedl@acm.org>
Date:   Sun Jan 30 09:26:44 2022 -0500

    [app1, app2, ... appN] shows the order that mhn.defaults.sh uses
    when looking for the helper for the specified content type and
    optional subtype.

    Support for audio content is only added if /dev/audioIU or /dev/audio
    exists.

    Old helper appplications
    ========================
    [acroread, okular, evince, xpdf, gv]: application/pdf
    [okular, evince, gv]: application/postscript
    [ivs_replay]: application/x-ivs
    [soffice]: application/msword
    [splayer, raw2audio, cat >/dev/audio]: audio/basic
    [adpcm_dec, play]: audio/x-next
    [xv, netpbm + djpeg + xwud]: image
    [w3m, lynx, elinks]: text/html
    [richtext, rt2raw]: text/richtext
    [mpeg_play]: video/mpeg

    Changes:
    1. replaced use of netpbm with mpv --keep-open, preferring mpv over xv
    2. replaced mpeg_play with [mpv, mplayer] for video (not just video/mpeg)
    3. moved acroread to end of application/pdf list
    4. removed application/x-ivs support
    5. removed text/richtext support
    6. added mhshow-suffix-video.mp4 to mhn.defaults

    New helper appplications
    [okular, evince, xpdf, gv, acroread]: application/pdf
    [okular, evince, gv]: application/postscript
    [soffice]: application/msword
    [splayer, raw2audio, cat >/dev/audio]: audio/basic
    [adpcm_dec, play]: audio/x-next
    [mpv --keep-open, xv]: image
    [w3m, lynx, elinks]: text/html
    [mpv, mplayer]: video