openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] EXR layer naming conventions

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] EXR layer naming conventions
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:07:17 -0700

On Jun 28, 2007, at 1:27 PM, Michael Wolf wrote:

Single channels:
Special, Luminosity, Diffuse, Specularity, Reflectivity, Transparency, Shading, Shadow, Geometry, DiffShade, SpecShade

Motion.X .Y

I'd be eager to have some standardization out there (as far as that is possible with the different kinds of render outputs). exrTrader supports channel naming presets, so I could add a new one any time.

I'd really like the pseudo-standard to be that if you're doing layers, the channel names should all be single-letters like Michael has there. Are there cases where you reed to put more letters? That would make it easier for people to make layers like "guy.head.spec.R" and you know that everything before is part of the layer name and the "R" is the channel.

And also, I think that is you have multiple channels that are tied together, they should always use the layer format, like Motion.X and Motion.Y. I see some files that just say "X" or "Y" or "VX" or "velX" and there's no good algorithmic way to know they're tied together.

Brendan