openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] EXR layer naming conventions

From: Michael Wolf
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] EXR layer naming conventions
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 22:27:22 +0200

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 21:19:41 +0200, Jim Hourihan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi All, I was wondering how people are using EXR layers. Especially
> how the layers are being named and if there are any defacto standards
> out there.

I'm not sure about standards, but exrTrader for LightWave uses the buffer names
as defined by Lightwave itself.

They are either RGB or just a single named channel, the exception being the
motion buffer.

Here is a list:

R G B A Z
Raw Colour: Raw.R .G .B
Reflection Colour: Refl.R .G .B
Diffuse Colour: Diff.R .G .B
Specular Colour: Spec.R .G .B
Backdrop Colour: Backdrop.R .G .B
PreEffect Colour: PreEffect.R .G .B

Single channels:
Special, Luminosity, Diffuse, Specularity, Reflectivity, Transparency, Shading,
Shadow, Geometry, DiffShade, SpecShade

Motion.X .Y

I'd be eager to have some standardization out there (as far as that is possible
with the different kinds of render outputs). exrTrader supports channel naming
presets, so I could add a new one any time.

Cheers,
Mike

--
db&w Bornemann & Wolf GbR