Re: [Openvds-devel] compilation tips

From: Paul Sladen
Subject: Re: [Openvds-devel] compilation tips
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 21:57:55 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Lev V. Vanyan wrote:

> Is there anybody knows, how to compile source, if it uses the function from
> archive (*.a) and this function defined as static?  [...]

Didn't quite follow that;  but:

An Archive `.a' is a collection of Object `.o' files, and is created using
the `ar' tool.

Archives and Object files specified on the gcc wrapper command line get
passed through to the linker as they are already compiled.

Specifing a C function as `static' means that the symbols aren't exported in
the compiled object file (you can't link/see them from outside the file that
they are in).  This helps reduce namespace clutter.

Hope this Helps.  If you can explain your problem again, then I can try and
answer it more fully.

        -Paul
--
Nottingham, GB