pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Mandrake RPMs and menus

From: Gollum
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Mandrake RPMs and menus
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 02:30:49 +0100

Christophe Lambin wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:
> > Maybe it is an idea for the Mandrake guys (or for here) to have an
> > extra package (pan-extras or something) that contain menu's and
> > other extras. You simply install that package once and then upgrade
> > the Pan package with a more or less generic one from rebelbase.
>
> [...]
> As for me, I really don't fancy forking the spec file for every
> distro's custom menu system (or whatever).

This extra package won't have to be updated very often, probably less
than once a year.  The four files in question are the same in the last
Cooker RPM as in Mandrake 8.2.  They should also be compatible with
Mandrake 8.1, which used PNG icons for some RPMs and XPM for others.

Such a package should not be used with official Mandrake RPMs, it
will just be a supplement to the Rebelbase RPMs.

I should be able to assemble such an RPM in a few days if you're willing
to put it somewhere on the Pan website.  I built one with the specfile
below tonight (my very first attempt at creating an RPM), but I'd like
to make some fine-tuning and testing before I commit it.  Any comments
to the specfile are appreciated.  (At least I should change the "Source"
field, as there is no tar.bz2 source file, and I need to know what URL
you'll use for that file.)

> Does anyone know how long it takes for Pan releases to get into Cooker
> (which I assume has the custom menu's)? How big an issue is this
> really?

As John wrote, it may take a few weeks.  During the 9.0 beta stage, I
think it was just a matter of days.  But another problem is that
Mandrake only has built Pan without spellchecking so far.

---  Begin specfile  ---

%define name    pan-mdkextras
%define version 0.1
%define release 1

Source:
http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/extras/pan-mdkextras/%{version}/%{name}-%{version}.tar.bz2
Packager:  Gollum <address@hidden>
Vendor:    ChimPanXi

Requires: /usr/bin/pan

Provides: %{name}

%description
Mandrake menu definition and icons for the Pan newsreader.
For use with Pan RPMs for Mandrake published on pan.rebelbase.com.
Files extracted from official RPM from Mandrake Linux.

%files
/usr/lib/menu/pan
/usr/share/icons/large/pan.png
/usr/share/icons/mini/pan.png