pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Hacking pan for Giganews

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Hacking pan for Giganews
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 16:40:37 -0700

On 08/09/2011 02:35 PM, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> Hi.  I'm in the process of hacking the pan source code to take fuller
> advantage of my Giganews Diamond account (50 connections!, whoo boy!).
>
> I've already modified pan/gui/server-ui.cc to allow me to set the
> server's config to 50 connections (that part was easy), but I'm looking
> now for how to hack pan's task management to do more simultaneous header
> downloads, binary file saves, etc.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I'll send back to the list
> anything I come up with, if anyone's interested.

Hi Conrad, and welcome to the pan mailing list.  (Forgive my senility if
you've posted here before :)

I'll answer your question with two questions :p

I've read many threads, in this group and elsewhere, about the utility of
multiple connections to a server.  I've never been satisfied with any of
the explanations I've seen so far -- but I've never used a server that
allowed more than four connection, so what do I know?

What is the speed of your internet connection to giganews, and do they
limit the bandwidth of any single connection to their servers?

Second, when you download multiple posts/headers from multiple groups,
etc, how many individual download icons do you see in the status bar
at the bottom of the pan window?