pan-devel

[Pan-devel] seeing lots of problems (Re: ANN : Tabs support for article

From: SciFi
Subject: [Pan-devel] seeing lots of problems (Re: ANN : Tabs support for article overview)
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 23:44:11 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I must stay at your GIT bb16cbd level.
The new "tabs" code have been causing much headaches.
With this code, Pan has begun to do segfaults here,
for variety of reasons,
some I can directly blame for certain actions,
others I cannot yet find directly to blame.

With this new code (tested at GIT 32f6c9b),
I can cause Pan to crash
when I do a third-mouse-button click in the group pane
normally to wipe-clear the header & body panels.

Other times,
Pan will crash seemingly while fetching new headers, usually,
but I cannot directly blame any particular header/group
(eons ago there was reason to blame such entities,
 but we could never figure-out exactly how to debug it).

I swear I also noted Pan crashing
with it doing absolutely _nothing_ at all,
i.e. at idle state (I suppose),
everything had finished in its various queues etc.

Also, a personal note to say I usually _hate_ "tabs".
Hate 'em.
Absolutely hate 'em.
Especially the way your new code forces us to use 'em.
Firefox et al give us options to turn-off "tabs".
Your new code for Pan needs to provide such options, too.
Give us an app-wide option to _not_ use "tabs" at all,
period, please.

Why have I begun to hate your new tabs code?
Currently, the header pane does not automatically switch
to the "next" group I want to read -- I must do double-duty
to bring-up the group's headers by selecting its "tab" there
_after_ I have already opened the "next" group.

Also, I expect the _present_ header-list to clear itself out
when I do the third-mouse-button click on the group pane.
This doesn't happen until I hit the red-X
in the "tab" for that/those group(s) there.
That is,
if this third-mouse-button doesn't cause the segfault crash
I've already mentioned above.

Trying to use the new "tabs" code
is very very very frustrating
when compared to the usual way I've used Pan,
and other news-readers for that matter,
over years & years & years.
;)

So fortunately I have kept a checked-out copy
of your GIT bb16cbd level
before it was "clobbered" with the "tabs" code.
;)

Very sorry to have to say all this,
otherwise your work is very-much needed for this project.

Please re-instate your "tabs" branch
so to not clog-up the "regular" code
and/or until the "don't use tabs" optionery is available.
Please.