[paragui-users] design flaw in opengl branch -- suggestions?

From: Teunis Peters
Subject: [paragui-users] design flaw in opengl branch -- suggestions?
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:16:37 -0700 (PDT)

I've just finished a weekend (and so) of serious bugfinding and I'm down
to (I think) one last bug *g* which is a doozy...  It's a sort of design
flaw really..

Basically - I've setup loadable graphics drivers - and they handle all
rendering surfaces (such as images :)
AND...  they can't support reading images constructed by other drivers.
oops.

The somewhat more detailed version:
Application loads defaults (including backgrounds) before it initializes
graphics mode.
Rendering driver loads.  (this DOES require the pgApplication object to be
initialized!)
Rendering attempted....  oops crash when it attempts to render the
backgrounds (and any other bits).

I've come up with these solutions:
1. force app to reload all images (umm how?)
2. use indirect handles for images rather than a 'direct' pointer
        (HWINDOW-style)
3. Just don't load images (provide a temporary object) until graphics
initialized.  (This isn't a bad solution except that it means graphics
drivers can't be replaced while the system is running)

Suggestions?
(I'm also playing with the idea of rendering objects that aren't
images... such as rendering paths font-style)

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis