Re: [paragui-users] design flaw in opengl branch -- suggestions?

From: Teunis Peters
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] design flaw in opengl branch -- suggestions?
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:57:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Roger D. Vargas wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Teunis Peters wrote:
>

> > I've come up with these solutions:
> > 1. force app to reload all images (umm how?)
> > 2. use indirect handles for images rather than a 'direct' pointer
> >     (HWINDOW-style)
> > 3. Just don't load images (provide a temporary object) until graphics
> > initialized.  (This isn't a bad solution except that it means graphics
> > drivers can't be replaced while the system is running)

> Why is so important to load graphics before initializing?

That's how the current system works - that takes place when the initial
theme loads (which IS before the graphics is initialized)

> I dont know why somebody would want to switch drives "on the fly".

*heh* because it can be done.
Under Linux the only use would be (in X) to switch between OpenGL and SDL
rendering.  Under windows theoretically one would also be able to load
DirectX (when I get around to trying to write it - don't hold breath :)

I can actually think of a few reasons that wouldn't make sense to game
developers as well...

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis