Re: [paragui-users] design flaw in opengl branch -- suggestions?

From: Teunis Peters
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] design flaw in opengl branch -- suggestions?
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:47:30 -0700 (PDT)

oops sorry for doubled messages (my mistake blind CC to message with
multiple references to paragui list)

Anyways....  I'm going to go with just rewriting "pgapplication" to not do
anything involving ANY kind of graphics until the driver is initialized...

Or at least until the application has a chance to initialize the driver...

basically this step:
        PG_Application& app = PG_Application::GetInstance();

will no longer do anything graphics-oriented. This includes any image
All will start automagically when the graphics is first initialized
at the app.InitScreen(...) call.

Am considering an "image repository" for images that aren't meant for
immediate rendering...  but am not sure at this time.

Actually as a note with this branch - if it weren't that it used a lot of
SDL types as a reference, I'd consider hiding SDL entirely as the OpenGL
driver is __NOT__ SDL-compatible - in the sense that any SDL rendering
call WILL cause the application to crash.  But that only adds additional
problems (as the rest of SDL works fine :) so statis quo it is...

Note that I'm working on the devel-opengl branch not the main one :)
(if anyone's curious)

Also note the default renderer is the standard SDL one that should work
almost everywhere.  Thanks to SDL there really isn't a lot of need for
custom drivers on most platforms.  OpenGL is of course an exception...

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis