Re: [paragui-users] pg_application

From: Teunis Peters
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] pg_application
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 16:03:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Alexander Opitz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there an example of a reimplementation of the PG_Application class? I try
> it at the moment, but I've problems with the static things :-(
>
> I try to reimplent it with an other RunEventLoop function, it will be
> (exspecialy) for Games. It have a FrameHandler which is called every time, so
> you can make Sprites/Animations like in dblbuffer.cpp.

TBQH - not entirely necessary.  Can always run the event loop inside the
"main" instead of the app.Run() method...  dblbuffer IS a good example for
that.

or flip side write your own thread to do the same thing... it's not like
the PG_Application::RunEventLoop function calls anything terribly
private.

On the other hand, deriving a subclass of PG_Application IS possible...
just access the PG_Application via a pointer and create subclass as
normal.

While I'm not the designer of the main system - the opengl sub-branch may
(but doesn't :) show undesirable sideeffects if the child class does not
initialize things properly - such as not being able to find itself,
drivers or themes...

Hope that helps a little at least..

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis

PS: let me mention a warning - multithreaded programs should _NEVER_
render from ANY thread other than the one that -created- the display.
Causes undesirable things like crashing X, lockups with some display
drivers and other fun things.  Best case with X your program will be
aborted...