Re: [paragui-users] this quietness makes one frightened (and insane :))

From: Ulf Lorenz
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] this quietness makes one frightened (and insane :))
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 21:14:56 +0100

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 08:48:19PM +0100, H. C. wrote:
> Hi everyone,
The same,

I thought I'd wait for some days before answering, but since noone has replied
yet, let me be the first. :|

> are there still people involved in ParaGUI development? :)
> Much has time passed since the last release, but I haven't slept all the
> time. I've been working on a ParaGUI project and I figure I've fixed quite a
> nice amount of issues and implemented some useful wrapper functions for
> protected / private data members one should have access for (at least for
> proper subclassing).
One question: You actually did some work after Alex's retirement? If so, what?

> But unfortunately, there's still no one to take care of organizing ParaGUI's
> development.
MMmhhh, there is indeed a problem. The current status looks like this:

Teunis has his OpenGL branch and other branches and happily plays around with
them. Nothing against Teunis, but the fact that he hasn't answered one
contribution mail of me and hasn't applied yet makes me believe that he hardly
wants the job as admin. (Teunis, correct me if I am wrong :) )

I have also written a mail to Anthony, who had sort of applied for the job as
admin, but he currently doesn't have time. I could write him another mail, but
an admin who (at least currently) has no time is a problem of its own.
(Anthony, still interested? )

Personally, I am not (and have never been) happy at the thought of taking over
paragui project leadership. After all, I already administrate another project,
and I suppose most of you know that it is a time-consuming job. You code,
answer all the feedback mails, care for the contributors to stay motivated etc.
Furthermore, I have no experience with such a large poject, have never before
released libraries and have almost no knowledge about programming in Windows
(several of the users seem to code on this platform).
However, there are a lot of things still missing in paragui, and with a
kind of dying paragui my project also suffers because noone uses this lib and
therefore hardly uses programs depending on the lib as well. I also wanted to
give something back to paragui for quite a while now, and as long as my activity
is mainly limited to moderating/initializing discussions, patching the code and
doing the other administrative stuff which happens to occur (I don't suppose
I will have much time to code with all the other things to do) I suppose I could
copewith the task.

In short, I use this mail to apply for the position of project leadership (or
however you would call it in a bazar-like environment) IF one or two other
people here share this position with me. They don't have to have time now or
even often, but I don't feel prepared to do it alone.

> Might we just discuss this topic once again (please) ?? (!!!)
see above

> If this agony continues, projects like aedGUI might overthrow ParaGUI's
> throne pretty soon. :'(
Sure :(

Ulf

--
'The trouble with my friend here is that he doesn't know the difference between
a postulate and a metaphor of human existence. Or a hole in the ground.'