qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu processes

From: Ryan Boyce
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu processes
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 10:30:24 -0400

Hi Stefan,

I am a big fan of your blog! In relation to your blog post,
http://blog.vmsplice.net/2011/03/qemu-internals-big-picture-overview.html,
I have a question I am really hoping you can answer:

When I start a VM, I see that the qemu-kvm processes start and run as
"qemu-kvm..... -name "something1"...."
My issue, though, is I see multiple processes running as "qemu-kvm.....
-name "something1"...." and each of these processes has memory/cpu/disk
mapped to it.
Does qemu-kvm run VMs on a one-to-one VM-to-host process basis? Or does
each virtual cpu on the guest get its own process on the host?
For example, If I have a VM that has 4 virtual cpus, will I see 4 processes
(PIDs) on the host or should I see just see one for the VM itself.

Any help you can give would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Ryan