qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu processes

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu processes
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 16:09:13 +0100

Ryan Boyce <address@hidden> writes:

> Alex,
>
> I have another KVM/qemu related CPU question. I am hoping you will be so
> kind as to answer again. I have a Dell Poweredge T430 server running a
> single Intel Xeon E5-2603 v3 CPU with 6 cores. I have 6 VMs running CentOS
> 7 via KVM. I am noticing some terrible host CPU performance when a VM runs
> a simple process such as a recursive search on its file system. I see VM
> CPU acting normally but the host CPU skyrockets to well over 100%. I have a
> few ideas as to why this is but am hoping you might be able to point me in
> the right direction. Thank you so much for your help!

A lot will depend on caching and how much of your guest file-system is
already in the host page cache. Otherwise you have a round-trip to make
to load the blocks into RAM.

However usually my first step is to run something like:

  perf top

And see where the host is spending its time and go from there.

--
Alex Bennée