qemu-devel

Re: Getting whole-tree patches reviewed and merged

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Getting whole-tree patches reviewed and merged
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 15:53:42 -0600

On 1/21/20 11:16 PM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
Peter Maydell <address@hidden> writes:

On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 at 15:11, Marc-André Lureau
<address@hidden> wrote:
There are plenty of refactoring to do. The problem when touching the
whole code-base, imho, is review time. It may take a couple of
hours/days to come up with a cocci/spatch, and make various patches
here and there. But it takes often weeks and a lot of constant push to
various folks to get all the reviews (as seens by the qdev prop-ptr
series earlier for example). How can we better address whole code-base
changes?

It depends. If it's literally just a cocci/spatch mechanical
transformation, I think we should be OK with reviewing that
transform and then applying it; we don't need to get acks
from every submaintainer for that kind of thing.

I go one step further: I prefer mechanical changes committed together,
not torn apart and routed through N+1 trees, where N is the number of
active maintainers picking patches from the series, and 1 is the
maintainer taking pity of the inevitable leftovers.

Tearing a patch series apart may be in order when it's invasive enough
to risk many conflicts.  The subsystem maintainer may need tighter
control over merging order then, and routing picked patches through his
own tree may be the practical way to get it.

And the pending work on ERRP_AUTO_PROPAGATE is an example of that - Vladimir has been trying to get the improvements in for some time, but it touches so many files, and is awkward to review whether it is split into over 100 patches per maintainer area or when it is consolidates into few but large patches.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226