qemu-devel

Re: Getting whole-tree patches reviewed and merged

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Getting whole-tree patches reviewed and merged
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 16:12:37 +0000

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 at 16:04, Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
> Once that's done, the next questions are what level of review we want
> for the instances of the pattern, and how to merge the thing.
>
> One way is to split along subsystems boundaries, and ask subsystem
> maintainers to merge their part.  Infrastructure has to go first, of
> course.  That would be my job as error subsystem maintainer.  Getting
> everything merged via pretty much every subsystem we have will likely be
> a drawn out affair.
>
> Another way is to go ahead and merge everything, damn the torpedoes.

For this sort of thing, provided that somebody has reviewed the
overall approach, and somebody has reviewed each patch at least
vaguely, and we've given subsystem maintainers a chance
to say "I would prefer to take the patches that apply to the
subsystems I care for via my tree", in my view we should default
to "take the patches via one tree/pullreq" (in this case that
would be one of yours I guess). I suspect most of the time
most submaintainers won't care and will be happier not having
to actively deal with the change...

thanks
-- PMM