qemu-devel

Re: Getting whole-tree patches reviewed and merged

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: Getting whole-tree patches reviewed and merged
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 17:04:39 +0100

Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:

> On 07/02/20 22:53, Eric Blake wrote:

>>> I go one step further: I prefer mechanical changes committed together,
>>> not torn apart and routed through N+1 trees, where N is the number of
>>> active maintainers picking patches from the series, and 1 is the
>>> maintainer taking pity of the inevitable leftovers.
>>>
>>> Tearing a patch series apart may be in order when it's invasive enough
>>> to risk many conflicts.  The subsystem maintainer may need tighter
>>> control over merging order then, and routing picked patches through his
>>> own tree may be the practical way to get it.
>>
>> And the pending work on ERRP_AUTO_PROPAGATE is an example of that -
>> Vladimir has been trying to get the improvements in for some time, but
>> it touches so many files, and is awkward to review whether it is split
>> into over 100 patches per maintainer area or when it is consolidates
>> into few but large patches.
>
> If I can help with ERRP_AUTO_PROPAGATE, I can merge it through my tree.

Right now I'm to blame: I need to review the infrastructure and its
pattern of use.

Once that's done, the next questions are what level of review we want
for the instances of the pattern, and how to merge the thing.

One way is to split along subsystems boundaries, and ask subsystem
maintainers to merge their part.  Infrastructure has to go first, of
course.  That would be my job as error subsystem maintainer.  Getting
everything merged via pretty much every subsystem we have will likely be
a drawn out affair.

Another way is to go ahead and merge everything, damn the torpedoes.