Re: rdiff-backup-users Digest, Vol 241, Issue 3

From: David Croll
Subject: Re: rdiff-backup-users Digest, Vol 241, Issue 3
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 22:41:23 +0200

Salut Patrik,

By default, when running "rdiff-backup src dest", any extraneous files in
the destination are deleted and only available in the rdiff-backup-data
directory. In my new use case, when I run "rdiff-backup", I want to keep
files in the destination as normal files even if they were deleted from the
source.

As normal files? Without diffs? If I remember right, you could do
exactly this with rsync.

rsync --backup --suffix=<suffix> source dest

stores all changed/deleted files with a suffix, which should be a string
containing date & time.

You want to restore the backup from May 13th?

The backup software then either selects the suffix-less version of the
file, or the newest "suffixed" version that is older than May 13th.

Best regards, David