[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: ac-archive moved to non-GNU

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: ac-archive moved to non-GNU
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:13:45 +0100

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 09:02:40PM +0100, Peter Simons wrote:
> Sylvain Beucler writes:
>
>  > During [gnu.org #221172 I] asked:
>
>  > For clarify, we'll need to move ac-archive from GNU to
>  > non-GNU. This implies changing the webpages URL and the
>  > mailing lists domain, although we can setup redirections
>  > in a first step.
>
>  > Is it ok for you (Peter)?
>
> I just searched through my mail archive (including the spam
> folder), and I do not have a copy of that. I certainly never
> saw it.

Somebody will have to explain me how RT works regarding
notifications... When I see 'From: "Peter Simons via RT"
<address@hidden>' in a From: line, I expect RT (behind new-gnu) to
forward it to the people who participated in the conversation; ah
well.

>  > If you have concerns about the current situation, please
>  > say so and we can work to improve it.
>
> Well, it concerns me that I have been maintaining that
> archive on gnu.org for over 4 years now, and then the
> project is suddenly moved away under my ass without so much
> even as getting my opinion.
>
> And all that because it is "not a GNU project", regardless
> of the fact that it has been called the "GNU Autoconf Macro
> Archive" ever since 2001-02-17.
>
> I think that's very weird, to put it carefully.
>
> So what can we do to improve this situation?

This depends on what your concerns are.

The project is still reachable wherever it used be to reached (at
savannah.[non]gnu and www.[non]gnu.org), same for the mailing
lists. The download area didn't change either, it also can be reached
from savannah.gnu and savannah.nongnu.

The only thing that really changed is the label "This project is not
part of the GNU Project", which is apparently more accurate. Your
package was approved at the time Savannah was not opened to non-GNU
projects, and was classified as GNU during the opening.

If you think the package was meant to be GNU, I suggest you ask it to
be reviewed via address@hidden

--
Sylvain