Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] redirecting download areas

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] redirecting download areas
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:24:29 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 05:25:21PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
>     We can implement a specific HTTP redirection in that folder. Ok, I
>     even did so.
>
> Instructions for the future on what you did?

I don't think so. This is trivial when one knows Apache, and this
isn't safe to be done if one doesn't.

>     I suggest the redirection be temporary (like 6 months)
>     to avoid them from piling up.
>
> "Piling up"?  It's not like the existing references to that url in
> mailing lists, software releases, etc., are ever going to go away.
> My initial reaction is that it should be permanent.  It's not like there
> will ever be hundreds of these cases.

At a point or another, there will be changes in Savannah and old
redirections we don't remember about will break. Better make it clear
that nothing is permanent, and entice people to actively fix links
instead of relying on permanentness from our side.  It doesn't mean
we'll trash the redirection as soon as possible, it just means that it
won't last forever anyway.

>     Btw I remember Elfyn once implemented this site-wide and people
>     complained, because some GNU maintainers use both download areas
>     differently
>
> Not that it's supercritical, but it seems like a mistake to me.  GNU
> maintainers should use ftp.gnu.org and alpha.gnu.org, shouldn't they?
> Using savannah just means another place for people to look.  That isn't
> documented in the maintainers file, either.
>
>     (including myself these days :)).
>
> Ok, as an example, why do you use the savannah area?

Source snapshots and binary repositories, mainly, and other things I
don't deem permanent/important enough. Also this is more convenient to
use than the directive-driven upload system. Or to put it the other
way: I only use ftp.gnu.org for proper official releases.

--
Sylvain