Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git features on Savannah

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git features on Savannah
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:16:50 GMT

Hi Paul,

(Jim: see Paul's last question below.)

    Is [git for gnu.org web pages] possible?

Not right now, certainly.

And changing this would require very significant discussion and effort
from the FSF sysadmins, since they are the only ones with the power to
actually make changes on the www.gnu.org server.  I don't see that
happening any time in the foreseeable future, so you just have to put up
with CVS.  Sorry.

    time I update the manual so that chapter names change, etc. the

Chapter names, ok, but that wouldn't change html_node files.  It is not
a good thing to change node names, so consider the CVS pain additional
reason not to :).

    Also, in CVS I had my CVSROOT/loginfo trigger set up to send email on
    checkin to a mailing list; is this possible with git on Savannah?

I don't know, and I'm not seeing info at
http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/UsingGit.  Sylvain, anyone?

    Are there other tips/hints/etc. other than what's in the Savannah docs
    page (which is a good beginner's guide but doesn't have any advanced
    capabilities info)?

Tips/hints about git, I presume you mean.  The url I just gave is the
only meaningful page about git-at-savannah that I know of.

    I seem to recall that Jim Meyering had some special features that could
    be enabled on a per-project basis: are those documented anywhere as to
    what they're for, why they'd be desired, how to enable them, etc.?

No idea.  Jim?

karl