Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git features on Savannah

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git features on Savannah
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:06:53 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 04:06:49AM -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm looking into moving away from CVS to git with my Savannah project.
>
> I enabled git on my project page and I see it seems to have created a
> repository, but it's only a source repository (as far as I can see).
>
> That's good but I'm very interested in a web pages repository; every
> time I update the manual so that chapter names change, etc. the
> html_node directory is a nightmare to manage; CVS just isn't good at
> renaming or even removing, really, old files.  It would be nice if the
> web pages could be kept with something that had better file handling
> abilities.  Is this possible?  Note this is an FSF web pages repository,
> that automatically updates my project's content on www.gnu.org.

(FSF pages are at fsf.org, you mean GNU pages ;))

www.gnu.org is currently entirely managed using CVS.

Evolving this would be a good idea but as far as I'm concerned I'm
working on the new Savane codebase right now and this also requires
coordinating with the GNU webmasters (though I think they decided not
to edit project webpages anymore directly, this may simplify things).

> Also, in CVS I had my CVSROOT/loginfo trigger set up to send email on
> checkin to a mailing list; is this possible with git on Savannah?

Yes, we currently do it manually.
Just let us know where to send the notifications to.

> Are there other tips/hints/etc. other than what's in the Savannah docs
> page (which is a good beginner's guide but doesn't have any advanced
> capabilities info)?

I don't think so.

The main documentation is http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/FaQ

--