Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Projects for Android in GNU Savannah

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Projects for Android in GNU Savannah
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 19:37:46 -0500

address@hidden (Karl Berry) writes:

>     Should we accept software targeted for Android in GNU
>     Savannah?.  Currently there is https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?11659
>
> I am not sure.  On the one hand, fsf.org has a page about free software
> on Android:
> http://www.fsf.org/working-together/next-steps/free-software-for-android.
> That would imply it is ok for us to host such free software projects.
>
> On the other hand, rms's essay
> (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/android-and-users-freedom.html) concludes
> Android remains effectively nonfree.  Which implies we shouldn't do any
> hosting.
>
> I guess I will ask Brett and see if he can advise us.
>
>     I have formerly approved similar projects
>
> Regardless of what happens in the future, I would feel very bad about
> kicking out previously-approved projects due to our mistake, especially
> in such a borderline case of this.  I don't think we've ever done that
> and I don't think we should start.

I suggest we approve them as long as they do not rely on the nonfree
bits of Android and work with versions of Android for which the source
has been released (that includes the most current ones). This helps make
it possible to use Android with only free software.

This might mean excluding projects that rely on wifi or bluetooth, since
AFAIK there is no existing Android hardware that has those features
using only free software. Unless of course they are projects to make
those features available :).

The test would be to ask if the project works with Replicant -- that's
the equivalent of our test if the project works on a free GNU/Linux
distro.

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://identi.ca/johnsu01 | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.