Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Projects for Android in GNU Savannah

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Projects for Android in GNU Savannah
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 15:10:16 -0800

        Should we accept software targeted for Android in GNU Savannah?.

    Can they run usefully on the GNU system?

So it's not enough if it runs on Replicant?

    If they could run usefully on GNU if GNU is running on a phone or
    tablet, that makes them ok, even if they would not be useful on a PC.

The case at hand uses the Android SDK.  I would guess that means it
is unlikely to run on a GNU "phone or tablet", but I really don't know
how to answer the question.

Here is the project description, from https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?11659:

  Magiadni is an Android application that uses the device's camera to
  read OCR data on Spanish identity cards, then calculates its check
  digit and displays it.

  It is mostly of interest to Spanish people; its purpose is to debunk
  an urban legend that says that the check digit present on the OCR
  data represents the number of people who are named exactly as the
  card's holder.

  http://josep-portella.com/MagiaDNI-1.3.tar.gz

karl