Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] cgit/gitweb - owner updates

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] cgit/gitweb - owner updates
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:25:46 -0500

On Feb 22, 2015, at 19:21, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:

> It would be wrong to, e.g., call me the owner of administration,
> or rms the owner of Emacs or Jeff Bailey the owner of tar,
> so don't do that in any event.

OK.
Though there are few existing cases of names being used for owners:

    vcs:~# awk 'NF==2 && !($2 ~ /@/)' /srv/git/project-list | head
    administration.git Savannah+Hackers
    autostrap.git Sylvain+Beucler
    cflow.git Sergey+Poznyakoff
    checksum.git Tong+Sun
    cjk.git     Werner+Lemberg
    color-theme.git Xavier+Maillard
    coreutils.git Jim+Meyering
    emacs.git Jim+Meyering
    erc.git Michael+W.+Olson
    freedink.git Sylvain+Beucler

> Furthermore, I think I would suggest uniformly using
> address@hidden  Per GNU standards, that address is always supposed
> to exist and be monitored for bug reports.  (Although I know some
> packages do not do so, but that's a different problem.)  There is no
> other per-package address like that.

There are several packages (gnu included) which have other lists for more
general discussions, and not for bugs.
There's "address@hidden" for coreutils, which is listed as "general usage and
advice",
and similarly, there are "help-PKG" or "PKG-discuss" or "PKG-users" etc.
Would you think these are more suitable for initial contact, or should it
always by the "bugs-PKG" list?

> Also, that way the info could be automatically created.  We don't want
> to create yet more places that maintainers are supposed to insert
> redundant information.

The script tries to find the 'most suitable' mailing list, the results look
mostly reasonable for the ~350 projects which have mailing lists (
fencepost:~agn/projects-owners/projects-owners-mailinglists2.txt ).
Shall I update those?

Thanks,
 - Assaf